These honey deep spice cookies belong to Mediterranean region. I know that melomakorano/kalburabasti cookies are traditional to Greeks and Turks. Melomakaronas are Christmas treats for Greeks and Kalburabasti is also served for weddings/holidays among Turks.
They are one of my favorite cookies and my daughter’s, as well. I have to give her credit for this delicious dessert. For once, I was the one being pampered while I watched her make her first melomakarona/kalburabasti.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 3 3/4 cups pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups Greek amber honey
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped walnuts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together first 4 ingredients. Sift flour, baking powder, cloves, and baking soda 3 times.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the oil mixture and knead gently.
- Pinch off 2 1/2 tbsp. portions of dough and form into little flat oblongs (football shapes). Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Boil honey, sugar, water, and cinnamon for 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over hot melomakarona cookies.
- Allow to soak for 15 minutes, take them out of the syrup and place on large plate.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts